How to Find the Best Small Business CPA
Step 1: Make a commitment to yourself to seek out and find the very best small business CPA for your business, TODAY! The financial well-being of your small business is at stake.
Step 2: List your objectives, understand what you’re looking for.
- Do you just need someone to prepare your tax return?
- Or perhaps someone to do tax returns and financial statements?
- Or are you looking for someone who is a small business specialist that can help you to achieve real success in your business.
- If you want to grow your business and you need marketing assistance, be sure that the accountant has the expertise.
- Do you need to get your business online? If so, the accountant should have online marketing expertise.
- Is your business not running as effectively as it should be? Then your accountant should be someone who understands business systems and can help you to systematize your business to run more effectively.
Step 3: Ask questions. The way to learn more about any particular CPA involves asking questions and listening carefully to the answers. Here are 13 tough questions to ask a CPA before you hire them:
- Do you have the time to devote to my business?
- Do you allow fixed-price agreements, or are you just an hourly billing accountant?
- Do you provide specific business advice?
- Can you provide marketing assistance?
- Can you help me systematize my business?
- How quickly do you return telephone calls?
- What is your turnaround time on tax returns?
- Can you help me get my business online?
- Have you worked with other businesses like mine?
- How much experience do you have?
- How do you use technology to better serve your clients?
- Do you have other qualifications? Such as a certified financial planner, an attorney, or a certified valuation analyst.
- Do you provide a 100% no-risk guarantee?
Step 4: Once you’re satisfied that you’ve found the best small business CPA for you, act decisively. Begin to work with them to develop a fixed price agreement. It will outline the work that they will do for you, and should include unlimited meetings and unlimited phone calls. You want a relationship that will keep the channels of communication open between both you and them. The fixed price agreement ensures you will have no surprises.
Truly excellent small business CPAs are hard to find. When you find one, take action. Most strictly limit the number of new clients they take on. Don’t miss out on the opportunity!
If you found this article interesting you may want to read Steve’s eBook “How to Select the Best Small Business CPA.” Download it for free.